All I can say is what a year! 2006 has certainly been a benchmark in my life. Many changes… some of them good, some of them bad, some of them ugly.
- I got married to an amazing woman! God blessed me with a Black Queen no doubt. The wedding day was so special and perfect! Our closest and dearest family members and friends attended and it all went off without any problems!
- The honeymoon was terrific! We went on an Eastern Caribbean cruise (my first cruise!). We visited Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and the Bahamas. We started in Miami and spent 3 days there on our return, staying at South Beach. Niiiice!
- I moved to a new city: Ottawa…. Which is the capital of Canada. This city is beautiful and the people in my neighbourhood and whom I work with are real cool!
The death of my Father on Monday 30th January. Although he was not in the greatest of health, his death was totally unexpected. I take comfort in the fact that he wasn’t bedridden and didn’t have some illness that caused him to suffer.
The untimely death of my partner. On Friday 05 May, Police Constable John Atkinson was shot and killed while questioning a couple of drug dealers. I will never forget him.
So the cycle of life certainly manifested itself in 2006. The ending of lives and relationships, as well as new beginnings. When death comes so close to you and you also embark on a new journey, you start to consider what your legacy will be, what your present epitomizes, and what efforts you will dedicate yourself to in the shaping your future. You also come to appreciate your life and not take the life of family and friends for granted. I have come to consciously value the time I spend with those I love. I thank God daily for my life and for those I love.
So what do I intend for 2007. I don’t make resolutions but I have decided to re-focus my life in these areas:
1. I will re-dedicate my life to the pursuit of God. I will deepen my spiritual growth and strengthen my personal relationship with Him.
2. I will work at being more patient and understanding with others, especially with my wife.
3. I will take the time each day to appreciate my life, my wife, my family and my friends.
This will be my mantra for 2007:
Romans 8: 28-31: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover, whom He predestined, those He also called; and whom He called, those He also justified; and whom He justified, those He also glorified. What then shall we say of these things? If God be for us, who can be against us!?”
Happy New Year and I wish you all of God’s blessings, guidance and protection for 2007!